Glenkinchie lies, as the name might suggest, in a glen of the Kinchie Burn near the village of Pencaitland, East Lothian. It is situated about 15 miles from Edinburgh. The distillery is set in farmland. The name ‘Kinchie’ is a corruption of ‘De Quincy’, the original owners of the land. Its origins date back to around 1825 when it was founded by brothers John and George Rate. The original name was Milton Distillery. The brothers probably renamed it in about 1837. In 1969 the distillery stopped malting its own grain and the malting floors were turned into a museum of malt whisky.
The Glenkinchie label was relatively little known until 1989, when United Distillers started marketing it under their Classic Malts brand.
A sweeter style of Scotch, Glenkinchie is bright gold in colour and very approachable. The nose carries aromas of vanilla, citrus and wild flowery and is reflected on the palate and supported by a surprisingly creamy texture.